The English Language Arts 8 course is designed to allow students to explore and interact with the world of language from a Biblical worldview. God has given people the ability to comprehend and evaluate written, oral, and visual ways of communicating. He has also instilled into us a desire to be creative, to express ourselves, and to find purpose and fulfillment in the literary world. The purpose of this course is to help facilitate that type of learning, through a variety of means and modalities.
- Exploring stories and other texts helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and to the world
- Questioning what we hear, read, and view contributes to our ability to be educated and engaged citizens
- Language and text can be a source of creativity and joy
- People understand text differently depending on their worldviews and perspectives
- Texts are socially, culturally, and historically constructed